Wednesday, November 20, 2013

We all know what assume means...

Assumptions.  We all make them, most of the time, at least for me, to my detriment.

Case in point:  I was browsing on eBay yesterday for some opalescent fabrics and came upon a seller that had a lot of Silkweaver fabrics at a 15 percent discount.  And I see two or three I would like, but I notice the shipping time says 10 to 15 days.  What?!?!??!?  Most people are one or two days.  And this person is in the United States, so not out of the country or anything like that.

And I think, well, I am going to e-mail them and ask why the shipping time is so long.  I want this fabric yesterday!  LOL.  So, I do.  And I get a response a short time later that says this person was in a car accident and has severe injuries to their legs so they cannot get around and to the post office every day.

I thought to myself, oh, dear God.  What an idiot I am!  Yes, of course I did not know this person was in an accident, but I automatically assumed the worst, laziness, whatever.  So, I e-mail them back and say I am so sorry, I did not know, blah, blah, blah, and they wrote back and said no problem, I answer the question all the time, and my repeat customers know the deal.

But lesson learned to never assume, ever.  You just do not know what a person is going through or what it is like to be in their situation, even when you think you do.

And a funny story that happened yesterday.  As a sort of preface, DH and I have slept in separate bedrooms for months now.  He snores, horribly, and I was getting no sleep, I mean NONE.  We have a spare bedroom downstairs and I would wind up going down there in the middle of the night anyway each night, so together we decided we would sleep separately, and I am getting sleep now!  And if I want to stay up a bit longer than DH to stitch or watch a show or read, I can without disturbing him.  And not to be too personal, but we still do important, ahem, intimate business in our marital bed, if you know what I mean!!!

Moving on....DH has to get up at 4:15 a.m. for work each morning, and he promptly lets our two dogs outside.  We have a split foyer and my room is right near the door to the backyard, so each morning I don't need an alarm clock, I have two dogs who sound like elephants clomping down the stairs.

So, yesterday morning I hear them and I roll over and look at the clock and it says 3:55 a.m. and I think to myself, boy, I bet DH is mad that the dogs got him up 20 minutes early.  So, I go out to say good morning and I say, oh, which one of the dogs got you up?  And he says neither, I rolled over and looked at the clock and saw it was 6:00 a.m. and I jumped right up.  And I said, huh?!??!?  It's 4:00 a.m.!!!  And then he proceeds to say huh?????

Come to find out, his alarm clock went on the fritz.  It's one of those clocks that is electric, but it gets the time from the cell towers or air waves or something and so, when you plug it in, it sets itself, and it projects the time on the ceiling.  Well, we don't know what happened, but the time was completely, utterly wrong.  We had a good laugh about it, but it is amazing that each of us were thinking such totally separate thoughts about the entire event. 

I am still working on ABChristmas, and got a few more letters done yesterday.  At this rate I should be done in a week or so!  I am anxious to start a pixie, but I will wait until I am done the alphabet.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment