Wednesday, January 8, 2014

In a better place...

I am in a better place than I was at my last post.  I have been doing some reading on the Law of Attraction.  Quite a fascinating topic.  I have somewhat gone off of Medifast.  I really did some thinking and came to the conclusion that life is too short to be eating fake food, if you know what I mean.  There are a few things I like from a company called Wonderslim, mainly their berries and chocolate cereal and two of their pasta dishes, so I will eat those during the day, but will have a normal dinner with DH each night and just continue to strive to make sensible decisions, not eat like a pig, and really make sure I am hungry before I eat something. 

As the saying goes, losing weight is simple, but not easy.  And for me, drinking lots of water during the day is key also.  I strive to get in 64 ounces or more a day.  But we also get a lot of water from food and other drinks.  Just something to keep in mind.

I have been a bit slow with work the past two weeks with the holidays, so I have been able to get some stitching done, and I decided to start some counted canvas projects.  I had forgotten how much I LOVE needlepoint!  First up is Snowcrystal Tree by From Nancy's Needle.  I picked this one up last Saturday at The Stitching Post, but they did not have many of the threads, so I ordered the remaining threads online and they should be here tomorrow, hopefully.  I did get the border done, however, but am at a standstill on this one until I get the rest of the threads. 

This first pic is how the piece will look when finished.



And here is my progress so far.  I threw caution to the wind and started with the border, although the directions say start in the middle.  I am such a rebel!  LOL



So, while waiting for the threads for Snowcrystal Tree I decided to start Needle Delights Originals Bora Bora pattern.  I LOVE Needle Delights Originals patterns!  Always so full of color.  I purchased this as a kit from Nordic Needle, but realized upon getting the kit that not all of the threads were included, so I had to place an order online for the four remaining threads.  Those shipped today, thankfully, so I should have them in a few days.

Here is a pic of how the piece will look finished.



And here is my progress so far.



DH was watching me work on this one last night and said what are all of those threads sticking out?  And I explained to him that I begin and end my threads on the front of the canvas, so I very rarely have to flip my canvas over.  As I continue to stitch the piece and reach one of those threads on the front, I just cut it, and in the meantime I have stitched over it on the back, so the threads won't come loose.  I start my threads with a waste knot and just thread them through a few holes away when I end one, if that makes sense.  So, when the piece is complete no threads will be hanging out on the front!  

I have to say the Grip-It stand is a complete winner, hands down the best stand I have used yet.  I am able to adjust it to stitch anywhere, in my office, downstairs in our tv room, and even in bed, which I did last night.  And it is sturdy, yet lightweight.  Just perfect.  It is a shame the company does not make them anymore.  I purchased this one for a steal on eBay at $39.99.  You can see one of our dogs, Mojo, in the background on his big dog bed.  Such a cutie!



I discovered something surprising the last few days.  When I ordered the Bora Bora kit from Nordic Needle I also had to order stretcher bars, but they did not carry the mini ones in the sizes I needed, so I ordered the standard ones.  Now, the mini ones are usually all I use, because they are lighter and skinnier.  But surprisingly, I really like the standard ones!  It is very easy to push the tacks in around the edges to secure the canvas, whereas on the mini ones it is quite difficult sometimes.

Here is a pic of the edge of the mini bars.  They are 1/4 inch wide.



And here are the standard ones.  They are 1/2 inch wide.  The good thing about the standard ones is that they come in many more sizes than the mini ones do.



And there is one more needlepoint project I am waiting to arrive in the mail, the Laura J. Perin Nordic Panel exclusive to Nordic Needle.  This is a 10-month project with one piece being released each month.  And I even purchased the split rail scroll bars that they recommend to use with this one.  I am anxious to try them out, as I have always wanted to with canvas, but have never made the leap. 

I promised DH that until these three projects are finished (at least the first two) I am not purchasing anything else.  This should bode well for our bank account in the next few months. 

I have always had a dream to enter a needlepoint piece into Woodlawn, Montpelier, or the State Fair, but I have not yet done so.  I see that the deadlines for Woodlawn are the end of this month, so maybe next year for that one.  Our State Fair is in August, and usually the entries are done at the beginning of June, and  Montpelier is not until November, so I should have something finished by those two dates.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment